Sunday, September 23, 2012

cupcakes and birthdays

Birthdays are kinda my thing. I love them! A birthday is the one day of the year that is specifically about one person. I love baking, therefore I love baking for my friend's birthdays. (Keep this in mind if you have a favorite dessert and a birthday.)
Recently my friend S had a birthday, so naturally I made him cupcakes. He won't tell me his favorite dessert but I know chocolate and strawberries are always a good choice.  
Chocolate cup cakes made from the Betty Crocker cook book that I grew up cooking out of. Then I made a strawberry puree for the center. This was a new baking idea for me. I had never tried this, but once I got the hang of it it was pretty easy. The icing is cream cheese icing half chocolate half regular. Another new concept...two icings in one icing bag. I wasn't sure if it would be a smear, but I think it turned out quite beautiful.
My favorite thing is to make something new. I like the challenge. Only once have I had something not turn out (Lemon Meringue...meringue was beautiful, lemon was just too runny to be a pie, any hints would be helpful). It would be more likely to find a snowflake in Mexico than for me to use a boxed recipe; everything has to be from scratch.
I was recently thinking "how many of the things I say I love are actually a passion?" I would have to say that baking is a passion of mine. Giving delight to people through sweets brings me such joy! My dad is diabetic, mom is allergic to artificial sweeteners, therefore making things for family gatherings has been a challenge in itself. My goal is to one day have my own cafe with not only goodies for those who have no allergies, but to also make sugar-free and gluten-free goodies!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved my birthday cupcakes - and my wonderful birthday. Thank you again. It was very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, those cupcakes were the best! You will have my business WHEN you open your shop. Notice the WHEN, not IF! :-) Love you!

    ReplyDelete